Thirty-seven plays in twelve months?

Will a completion of the Complete Works of Shakespeare solve my career crisis?
(SPOILER: The answer is no, not exactly....)

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Heaven Today (dreamt of in my philosophy)

“Ignorance is the curse of God; knowledge is the wing wherewith we fly to heaven.” Henry VI Part 2, IV, 7, 78-79

My definition of heaven has changed every half-decade or so. Today heaven is my current setting: a clear blue sky, a ten-year-old son three hours away from the waning moments of fourth grade, a warm cup of creamy coffee, and a blank page of pure white primed to hold several hundred words I will soon pluck from the air and distill into an entertaining, witty diatribe. That is, if I refrain from opening Facebook, or Twitter, or email.
Ew, but what if someone needs me. Right: you know who needs me? The marketing division of every online or brick and mortar shop I’ve ever patronized or surrendered my email address to in a moment of weakness. Why can’t Twitter stop sending me suggestions? Pinterest, you are enough of a time vampire before you clog my inbox with recipes and DIY. Maybe today I’ll execute a mass unsubscribe sweep. Ah, but I can’t because I might miss the next kooky Star Wars branded household product. Darth Vader spatula? Why not? I could store it next to my Stormtrooper salt shaker. “TK-421, why aren’t you seasoning my green beans?”

I can ignore the multiple job posting alerts, but I certainly can’t unsubscribe to those, because how will I find the dream job I’ve fantasized about since I was 21: travel writer based in London? My mortgage lender might have a few words to say about that.
When I do find something that actually has some value to my life – a real email from a real person I actually know! – what do I do? I “mark as unread” and save it to read later.

No comments:

Post a Comment